„I’m in love with steel – strong, sharp, hard, soft, bendy, dangerous, responsive… Steel vibrates with every movement or sound in its surroundings, and it reacts to the smallest changes in temperature, thus “breathing” and pulsating with the rhythm of life!“
Bulgarian born VELA lives and works in Berlin since 1998, firing up the independent art scene as a sculptor, installation artist, performer and a DJ.
Fascinated by the properties of steel and welding, as well as by the dynamics of interactions between small parts in a bigger picture, VELA plays with structures and shapes, creating sculptures which are addressing social dynamics while referring to the animal world, and are often presented in collaborations with performance and dance artists, as well as in the context of theatre and movies.
VELA expresses love for steel and the industrial not only in the form of visual art, but also in sound – both own music productions and DJ sets.
– UP DOWN UP group exhibition, Haus Schwarzenberg
– Lauschen Statt Rauschen group exhibition, Berlin
– Open Air group exhibition, Haus Schwarzenberg
– „Plug“ (Gallery Weekend) group exhibition, Raketa Studio, Berlin
– ADM Solidarity Festival, group exhibition, Urban Spree, Berlin
– Installation of kinetic sculptural composition BOB & mini BOB, Gonzerath
– Production and public presentation of the privately commissioned kinetic sculpture “BOB” in Werk.Statt.44
– Rumble in The Jungle group exhibition, Berlin
– Werk.Statt.Schau V group exhibition, Berlin
– Beton.Stahl.Taube group exhibition, Berlin
– Yes, We’re Open! group exhibition, Berlin
– Werk.Statt.Schau III, group exhibition, Berlin
– HofFest group exhibition, Haus Schwarzenberg
– What If… group exhibition, GroundSwell Gallery, Denver, USA
– WestTurm group exhibition, Teufelsberg
– HofFest group exhibition Haus Schwarzenberg, Berlin
– Diverse stage sets and performances in KULE, Berlin
– „20 Years KULE“ group exhibition & performance, Berlin
– Artist residency in Kunst Haus KULE, Berlin
– Stage performances & concerts with “Electric Shepherds”
– Production and installation of „Turning Cow“ sculpture, Cowparade London, Museum of Childhood London, UK
– „Stazi HQ“ photography, part of the permanent exhibition in Urbis Museum,Manchester, UK
– Stage deco and printed material for the Dangerous Drums events
– Diverse performances, group exhibitions and events in Sofia, BG
Projects you should check out:
SR & Company
All artwork on this website is created by VELA. Photos, videos and texts are credited to the autors, whenever applicable.
The contents of my page has been created with the utmost care. However, I cannot guarantee the contents‘ accuracy, completeness or topicality. According to statutory provisions, I’m furthermore responsible for our own content on these web pages. In this regard, please note that I’m not obliged to monitor merely the transmitted or saved information of third parties, or investigate circumstances pointing to any illegal activity.
Responsibility for the content of external links (to web pages of third parties) lies solely with the admins of these linked pages. No violations were evident to us at the time of linking. Should any legal infringement become known to us, we will remove the respective link immediately.
Our web pages and their content is subject to the German copyright law. Unless expressly permitted (§ 44a et seq. of the copyright law), every form of utilising, reproducing or processing the work on this website is subject to copyright protection and requires the prior consent of Vela Arnold, the respective owner of the rights. It may not be used for direct or indirect commercial reasons. Unauthorized utilisation of copyrighted work is punishable (§ 106 of the copyright law).